Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine

On July 29, 1980 at 30 years old, my mother gave birth to me.  Who knew that exactly 30 years later I would give birth to my very own daughter.  As I went about my day I thought about my mom and imagined her getting to share in all the things that have happened over the last nine years because today is the day that my life was changed forever.  I was only 21 years old when she passed away-too young for anyone to lose their mother.  I was always close to my mom, but our relationship was changing to more of a kindred friendship than that of a mother/daughter ONLY relationship.  We would spend Saturdays shopping, walking through model homes, and eating out.  I was living with Elijah (in sin) and going to college and her and my dad were living a life with a child free home.  I so wish my mom could have watched Elijah and I walk down the aisle, but I am thankful that she got to know him before she left this world (we got engaged just 2 months before she passed).  As time moved on I got my bachelor's degree and then decided to pursue a career in education...following in her footsteps.  I went on to get my masters in education and miraculously got my dream job (it was fate) at the same school that my mom worked at until her dying day.  It was like coming home to a family of open arms and continuing the legacy of my mom.  It was a bittersweet day when Audrey was born, because a girls mom is usually there when her daughter gives birth.  She was there, but in spirit.  I so wish that she could watch me raise my child and give me advice on teething, walking, boys, etc. that I will have to figure out through friends and other family.  As I sat on the couch this evening, sort of somber in my day, I look over at my husband and daughter, bonding....and laughing.  Laughter truly is the best medicine.  Even if you are having a crappy day because of circumstance, your child's laughter is like no other.  It takes all your cares away and makes you realize how truly blessed you are to even have the chance to listen to your baby that you created laugh and enjoy life!  Life is precious and enjoy each moment, for you never know when it may be your last.  This is for my mom, my aunt, my grandma, my dad, and my brother, my husband, my cousin Renee, and my daughter for being able to be a part of my life and my mom's.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Your posting is heart melting... I can't even imagine how much of a loss you continue to experience as you raise your own baby, but you have such a positive outlook on the laughter part and it is so true that the spirit of your mother is always with you, especially now that you are a mommy! Thanks for the reminder to cherish every moment, my prayers of comfort are with you! I LOVE Audrey's belly laughs!

    ReplyDelete