Saturday, June 4, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge Day 4



Ha! Thought you would catch me not doing my blog challenge today huh?  Guess again.  It's 9:20pm and I am now entering it in the books.  
Today's challenge is:Your parents


Well, I believe my parents are some pretty amazing individuals!!  They got married on July 20, 1974 in San Diego.  3 years later they had my brother in Escondido, CA and 2 1/2 years after that they had me in Sedro Woolley, WA.  We eventually moved back to my dad's main land of Santa Fe, NM and eventually ended up in Rio Rancho, NM (suburb of Albuquerque at the time).  That's where most of my memories lie.  My mom was a stay at home mom always lugging us around to whatever sport or event we had going on and my dad worked a lot to support our family.  We did so many wonderful things together as a family.  I remember going down to the Butte to fish and going to the mountains to sled down the hills.  We took annual trips to San Diego to visit the family.  These trips usually happened without my dad since he continued to work.  After both my brother and I entered school my mom became an educational assistant at the elementary school that we went to. It was really nice being on the same schedule as my mom and I think she enjoyed it to because she got to have adult conversation, but still have the same opportunities that a stay at home mom had.  While my mom brought me to all my softball, track, dance, art, etc. activities, my dad was the one to teach me life skills.  Like how to shoot a can with an air rifle and how to change the pads on the air conditioner.  I had such a stable upbringing.  Your typical family (back then) with 2 parents still married, 2 kids, a dog, and a cat.  My mom always helped me make my life decisions and I respected her so much!  As the years went on she became more of a friend and confidant than "just a mom."  I remember wanting to spend the money I earned from my job on clothes and treats to spoil her.  She loved it!  I think during the time from when I was 18-21 I was the closest to my mom and didn't really have a tight relationship with my dad since we really didn't have much in common and I didn't see him a lot.  My mom passed away in February of 2002.  I was 21 and she was 51.  It was very sudden and heartbreaking.  My dad became a widow after 27 years of marriage.  It's been 8 years, and it doesn't seem that long...yet it does.  Elijah and I eventually bought a house and then my dad tells me that he bought a house too...5 houses down.  It was great having my dad and brother live just a few doors down.  I think since my mom's passing my dad and I have become very close.  I am always checking on him and calling just to say hi.  He does the same.  He has since handed his house over to my brother and lives on the other side of town.  He comes over every weekend to check in.  At 30, I can now say that my dad is one of my best friends....and definitely a confidant.  I would do anything for him and always wanting what is best for him!  I recently went through some pictures that my mom had in a box and guess what she saved...the pack rat that she was?  Cards my dad had given her just because!  I'm talking cards from the late 60's/early 70's.  How sweet!  Last weekend my dad and I went through them and had a good laugh.  He took some pictures that we found of the two of them.  I think my parents did a phenomenal job raising us and I hope to give Audrey an upbringing that is half as good as mine!  We might not have had all the money or things in the world...but we did things together (like dinner at 6:15 every night) and enjoyed each others company!  Love you, my Angel, and love you Dad!!
Mom and Dad on their wedding day!  Isn't she beautiful?



No comments:

Post a Comment